Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor)
The Brandenburg Gate is one of the most famous landmarks in Europe. Located in Berlin, it is a former city gate designed by Karl Gotthard Langhans and built between 1788 to 1791. On the top of the gate is the Quadriga, a sculpture of a chariot drawn by four horses driven by the Roman goddess of victory, Victoria.
There is a curious episode regarding to the Quadriga. Napoleon took it to Paris in 1806 after the Prussian defeat in the battle of Jena Auerstedt, wich was restored to its place after the Prussian occupation of Paris in 1814.
After the construction of the Berlin Wall, in 1961, wich ran just in front of the gate, the access to pedestrians and vehicles was forbiden. It was just in 2002, after the fall of the wall and German reunification, that the gate was reopened, and until now it remains as a symbol of freedom and the end of Cold War.